Defining Sound

NEW MUSIC

By Howard S. Axelrod

Definition of Sound's (DOS) new release Love and Life: a Journey with the Chameleons does not quite live up to the band's name.

According to Webster's Dictionary, "sound" means "free from flaw or defect."

But don't expect to see this album pictured next to the listing as an example. The secondary definition of sound, "noise," describes this album much more aptly.

Most of the songs do not distinguish themselves from the driving, beat-muddled lyric style of too many of today's dance songs. Cuts like "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" and "What's Goin' On" would be appreciated at a smoke-filled club where all the songs blend together. It's ironic that during "What's Goin' On," DOS raps, "Definition of Sound treating music different."

If you intend to listen to the lyrics, few songs from the album merit your attention. The times that DOS does try to espouse ideas with some depth the lyrics only slide along the surface of issues, never delving into them. In "Change" they rap "Nelson is out/ Who would believe those lyrics woulda come out." But instead of discussing the importance of Mandela, DOS simply concludes, "It can be solved if it can evolve."

Another example of DOS's inability to wax political or philosophical arises in "Reality." Although it has a catchy chorus of "Is this reality?" it wanders into poetic nonsense with "Cause I like to flow like a log down the stream." Although the group's effort to transcend typical dance music in a few of their songs deserves praise, their results do not.

DOS strays from the typical dance music path again with "Blues." But again they fail. Instead of being moving, soulful and powerful like quality blues music, this song drags, without emotion or force.

Musically speaking, when DOS does stick to dance music they actually do it fairly well. "Now is Tomorrow" and "Wear Your Love Like Heaven" have strong driving beats and light catchy choruses. This release does have a place in the world of music, but DOS has yet to learn that that space is extremely limited.

If you're looking for a colorful album cover to add to your CD collection and you enjoy dance music, then look no further. But otherwise, let Love and Life: A Journey With The Chameleons decorate music stores by remaining on the shelves.