New Highway Plan Nears Approval

City Considers Scheme Z Alternative

By Melissa Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

After months of intense negotiations, Cambridge and state transportation officials are expected to reach an agreement on an alternative plan to Scheme Z within a few days, Councillor Alice K. Wolf said yesterday.

An accord on the massive highway interchange would follow on the heels of an agreement reached Thursday between the state and environmental groups on an alternate plan called 8.1D.

The proposal would move the highway construction project farther away from the Charles River, lowers the height of the roadways and greatly reduces the number of highway ramps and loops. It would also cut the number of miles of highway in half.

The complete blueprints, which are scheduled be released next week, will also outline major extensions of subway and commuter rail lines as well as bus and car pool lanes.

The Thursday agreement marks the end of a lawsuit brought by the Conservation Law Foundation on behalf of other citizen organizations--including the Massachusetts Audubon Society and Cambridge Citizens for Liveable Neighborhoods--against the state.

Citing environmental concerns, the Foundationsought to block construction of the project, whichwas originally slated to run through EastCambridge.

Scheme Z was designed to run part of theCentral Artery underground. Under the plan, a16-lane, 11-story highway and four bridgesconstructed over the Charles River would connectthe Central Artery with the interstate highwaysystem.

The out-of-court settlement, however, does notend the controversy begun by the unveiling ofScheme Z two years ago. The state still faceslawsuits by other groups and towns, including oneby the City of Cambridge seeking to block theproject's construction.

Cambridge officials would not say yesterday ifthe city will drop its case. But Wolf added thatthe new plan was satisfactory enough to "suspendthe activities of the lawsuit."

Wolf said that "barring any last minutehitches," an agreement should be reached.

"The new plan is an absolute improvement overScheme Z," Wolfsaid. "Scheme Z represented both avisual and environmental blight."

Two-Year Struggle

The possible agreement between Cambridge andthe Commonwealth would represent the end to atwo-year long struggle between local residents andpoliticians and the state.

Organizations in Cambridge and neighboringcities first raised opposition to the $400 millionproject two years go, saying it would be both aneyesore and a detriment to the environment.Activists contended that air pollution and trafficvolume would skyrocket.

"Had we not raised hell, they would have builtScheme Z," said K. Dun Gifford '60, a member ofthe Committee for Regional Transportation.

In the "fine print" of the state's originalplan, the Commonwealth advised Charlestownresidents to permanently seal all windows facingthe highway, according to Gifford.

Although Cambridge has not yet subscribed tothe new proposal, the Foundation, the Committeefor Regional Transportation and state officialshave hailed their accord as a major step towardthe completion of the project.

"The new design strikes a fine balance between many interests," said Stanley H. Durlacher, Assistant Secretary of Transportation and Construction, in a Statement released Thursday.

Vertical Section Looking From Boston TowardCambridgeGraphicJames Cham

Vertical Section Looking From Boston TowardCambridgeSCHEME CIP 8.1D: The revised proposal,with fewer and lower elevated sections of highway.

Two-Year Struggle