Polo Club to Get New Ponies

Harvard, With No Horses of Its Own, Must Lease From Yale

By Tamar A. Shapiro, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard Polo Club, expects the arrival of two ponies leased from its Yale counterpart within the next few weeks, according to club president Scott A. Stanford' 92-93.

At present, the Harvard club owns no horses and must play using those of other New England clubs.

Yale has allowed Harvard equestrians to practice at their facilities once a week this season, and will now lease them the two ponies for the rest of the year.

The gift demonstrates the strong relationship between the Harvard and Yale clubs, Stanford said.

"It's great friendship," he said. "One alum who donated money even specified that we have to buy champagne for the Yale team whenever we play them."

"All along it has been more buddy-buddy than a rivalry," Stanford said.

Eileen F. Bartolini, the manager of Yale's team, said she was glad to be able to help the Harvard club.

"They're good kids, they're good athletes. I can't see why we shouldn't help them," she said.

Stanford said he was hopeful about the possibility of receiving more horses next year from Tommy Lee Jones '69, a club alumnus.

Until then, Stanford said, the club will work to raise funds to cover the costs of full board--about $400 a month per horse--at the Longview Equestrian Center in Danvers, where the horses will stay.

According to Stanford, the Club receives support from a few alumni, $400 each year from the University and membership dues of $50 per student each semester.

"We could charge exorbitant dues like many other clubs, but that's not what we want," Stanford said. "Our goal is to allow everybody who wants to play to have a chance."

With an active roster of 20 students, the club competed regularly this winter, Stanford said. This year the women's team joined the men's at the Intercollegiate Regional Championships for the first time.

"We didn't fare so well, but everybody was very supportive that we were there," Stanford said.

Anne E. McCabe '93, captain of the women's team, said she was pleased at the prospect of having the horses.

"We've been swallowing our pride, swallowing our school spirit and spending a lot of time travelling," she said.