Council Discusses Date Rape Report

Heinicke, Aronberg Differ on Students Role on Peer Dispute Subcommittee

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

The Undergraduate Council held a preliminary discussion last night about the role the council would play in the peer dispute subcommittees proposed by the recent Date Rape Task Force Report.

In its report last month, the task force recommended that students be included in the subcommittees formed by the Administrative Board to investigate claims make by one student against another.

Last night, Council Chair David A. Aronberg '93 and Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '94 offered opposing views of possible roles for students on the committees.

Aronberg endorsed the report and said council-selected students should serve on the subcommittees.. But Heinicke argued that the council should oppose any student role in resolving date rape cases because such involvement might result in breaches of confidentiality.

The council plans to endorse a specific proposal at a later meeting.

Some members of the council criticized the officers for taking what they said was too much control in forming the response of the council as a whole.

"This is something that demands a logical, reasonable and thoughtful discussion," said Maya G. Prabhu '94. "We should be considering something with the input of the whole council rather than something primarily from a few officers on the executive board."

Aronberg and Heinicke said that all are welcome to submit letters of response and encouraged council members to get involved in forming a council-wide stance on the task force plan. "We are not trying to force anything down your throat. The more voices in the debate, the better," said Heinicke.

Other council members said they believed the council was forming a response too hastily.

Daniel H. Tabak '92 said he thought it was inappropriate for the council to set a deadline for discussing the issue. Instead, debate on the issue should continue for "as long as it takes," beyond this year's council if necessary.

Prabhu suggested the council wait at least until after spring break to formulate an opinion. "We need a chance to speak to other students, counseling groups," she said.

But several members said the council needs to move fast if it is to remain part of the decision-making process.

"I'm more concerned of the U.C. being left behind by inactivity. The U.C. can't wait around and be acted upon," Aronberg said.

In other business, the council approved a letter calling for the athletic department to match funds from house committees and requested the Malkin Athletic Center extend its hours by at least one hour.