European Brew Flows At Tres French Clubs

WEEKEND IN PARIS

By Sameer A. Chishty, Crimson Staff Writer

At night, this city comes alive. No more Tour Eiffel, Arc de Triomphe or Notre Dame. No lines of tourists speaking broken French, no hordes snapping away with their instamatic cameras. Paris by night is a complete vacation in itself. You don't have to see the Louvre or the Bastille to enjoy this city of lights.

There are several ways to experience Parisian night life. Going to bars can be an expensive venture; a beer can cost upwards of 40 francs (about $8.00). Check out the etablissements in the St. Michel area near Notre Dame.

After dinner in one of the several dozen restaurants in the area, the visitor is presented with an equally large choice of bars. The Paris bars are great laces to hang out and just drink. Many bars have bands performing, singing mostly American songs a la WZLX. But the bars aren't the best places to socialize because most patrons arrive with friends.

The variety of beer, on the other hand is excellent. The sophisticated drinker can ponder European integration while sampling Belgian beer (try the cherry and the strawberry ones), solid dark German brews and, of course, the traditional French ones. If you're lucky, you might get a chance to down some Eastern European Budweiser. But don't forget: Service is included in the price of drinks, so don't tip.

Wines are a safe bet in Paris. Try the new Beaujolais for cheap--yet superb--red. German and Spanish wines are also available and are quite enjoyable. French Bordeaux and Rhones are perfect for the traditional wine drinker, but the more adventurous may want to taste the Greek liquors Don't leave Paris without sampling the very French drinks-such as Pastis (anisade with alcohol).

A word of warning: Beers in Europe contain a few percentage points more alcohol than in the States. For cheaper alcohol, try the liquor stores or supermarkets, where you get the same variety and quality at a much lower price. Where do you drink self-bought alcohol? You can always get wasted on the streets before heading off to the clubs.

There are two tiers of clubs in this city. Some, like the Locomotive (in the 8th), are open to almost everyone. These clubs are perfect for young people and any taxi-driver can bring you to 'one. Cover charges at the clubs vary from 60 to 120 francs, and sometimes the cost includes a drink.

The better clubs are part bars and part dance clubs, part restaurants and part stages--and 100 percent fun places to meet people. They include Olivia Valere, Calavazos and Regine. It costs upwards of 150 francs to get in. These semi-private clubs are also very selective about entrance so don't expect to get in. Just remember to dress well.

If you know any regulars at the club, you are guaranteed entrance. Once you enter the domain of the beautiful people, just revel in the pleasures around you. Everyone you really want to know is here. And since you got in, they want to know you too.

Watch the singers. Drink the champagne. Look around you. People from all around the world are here-American bankers, exiled Iranian royalty, sleek Egyptian beauties, dark-haired Italians in Armani suits, mignone French women. You have gained access to all the excitment of Parisian night life.

Olivia Valere and its cousins close at dawn, so you have time to drink at least seven different types of French champagne, introduce yourself to those Italian women in hot red dresses, dance under the very sophisticated lighting system to tunes sung live by a glittering Canadian Quebecoise and make friends with the owner.

There's more to Paris at night than the clubs. There's the cruise down (or is it up?) the River Seine. Dinner, dance and drinks for around 250 francs is a worthwhile experience. Roam Around the Champs Elysees and savour the city lights. Or take the Metro to the Pigalle area, see the sex shops and shows that have made this area world renown.

You can go back to Regine night after night and get to know everyone there. Soon you will be getting people in.