Harambee Supports Gomes

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson

They are God's servants, not yours. They are responsible to God, not to you. Let God tell them whether they are right or wrong. And God is able to make them do as they should. (Romans 14:4)

We, the students of Harambee (the organization for students of African decent at Harvard Divinity School), hereby state our support for the Rev. Peter J. Gomes in his position as minister in the Memorial Church.

We base our support on the fact that Reverend Gomes has served the Harvard community both nationally and internationally for over two decades.

During his tenure as minister in Memorial Church, his preaching has been a source of inspiration for students, faculty, staff and other members of the Harvard community.

Time Magazine has named him one of the seven best preachers in America, and his sermons are consistently published in major sermons periodicals. Clearly, Reverend Gomes has demonstrated his devotion and commitment to his community.

Moreover, in his capacity as minister, Reverend Gomes has served the Harambee community in numerous ways. He has been an outstanding preacher and spiritual counselor, exemplary mentor, and role model for aspiring ministers and other students.

While some may not agree with Reverend Gomes' interpretation of Christian scripture, the Christian tradition has long sustained various Biblical interpretation. We recognize Reverend Gomes as a vibrant participant in this ongoing conversation and thus we affirm him as a servant of God. Dianne Stewart   President, Harambee