Council Abandons Leak Investigation

Tables Inquiry Into Local Media Informants

By Mark L. Ruberg, Crimson Staff Writer

The City Council voted last night to reconsider its pending investigation of media leaks by a vote of 6 to 2, stating that such an investigation may be outside its jurisdiction.

The Council then tabled the possible probe for later discussion because it was unsure whether a leaks inquiry would be better handled by the City Manager or the District Attorney.

The move could mean the council's investigation "may never come up again," said Councillor Francis H. Duehay '55.

Duehay sponsored the motion to reconsider because he said he felt the council's powers may not include conducting investigations.

"It is not wise to have City Council members investigating, but to leave it to the proper authorities," he said.

Duehay added that it is not the position of city council to question the methods of the press.

Last week, the Council approved a motion to investigate security breaches and the leaking of confidential information to the local media.

Over the past few months, documents concerning the alleged criminal records of police recruits and Scheme Z, a proposed East Cambridge highway interchange, have been reportedly stolen and turned over to the press.

The council handed over the investigation to a committee headed by Councillor William H. Walsh. but yesterday Councillor said the committee was never officially formed.

Even if the council were to create a committee on leaks, it could not follow the suggestions of Walsh--which included lie detector tests and hiring private investigators--according to Councillor Jonathan S. Myers.

Some Councillor opposed the reconsideration, saying the council needs to find the leaks to restore its tainted reputation.

"Let us find out once and for all what's going on and restore some of the honor of this city administration," said Walsh. "This included the theft of city owned documents. This involved the breaking of the law."

Walsh added that the culprits who released the documents, not the press, would be the target of a probe.

Other members said the Council should focus more on hiring qualified police officers than on finding out who leaked incriminating documents.

"The question that I get is not who took some documents, but is the City Council...for finding [police recruits] who are really out standing," said Councillor Alice K. Wolf.