M. Cagers Wrap Up Ivy League Season

By Gordon P. Bellamy, Contributing Reporter

Home is where the wins are.

However, the Harvard men's basketball team closes their 1991-92 campaign this weekend on the road with games against Yale (15-9 overall, 5-7 Ivy) in New Haven and Brown (9-15, 3-9) in Providence.

Although the Crimson (6-18, 5-7) is in the midst of a five game home win streak, it is 1-11 away from Briggs Cage.

Harvard's chances for improving its road record look good.

Both opponents are struggling. Yale has mustered only one win in its last five outings, while Brown is mired in a eight game slide.

This weekend is a good opportunity for the Crimson to end a disappointing season on a positive note.

Harvard manhandled the Bulldogs, 82-69, four weeks ago at Briggs behind the explosive 25 point performance of Crimson forward Peter Condakes and 67.4 percent team shooting from the floor.

Jared Leake also played a key role in the game by shutting down Ivy League Player of the Year candidate guard Ed Petersen. This week, however, Leake is ailing from an ankle injury and might miss some action.

Yale will also be looking to Casey Cammann who had 22 points against the Crimson.

The Bulldogs are 7-1 in New Haven this winter. Yale avenged that defeat, at the hands of Princeton, this past weekend at Princeton.

The Crimson also triumphed in a dogfight against Brown 75-71 at Briggs behind the 17 points of Captain Ron Mitchell.

The Bears started the season hot, including wins over Holy Cross and Providence. Their February 7 loss at Cambridge began the eight game losing streak that the team takes into the Weekend.

Brown is led by the potent backcourt tandem of Rick Lloyd (13.9 points per game) and Chuck Savage (12.0 ppg). Center Jon Drezner leads the Bears' rebounding corps with 5.3 boards per game.

In order to win, the Crimson will need solid performances from its crew of forwards and for freshman guard Dan Morris to continue to respond favorably to his increased responsibility and playing time.

These games will also be the final collegiate appearances for Mitchell, Harvard's all-time leading rebounder, and center Mike Minor.

Ivy League Standings Team  W-L (Ivy)  Pct.  Overall W-L Princeton 11 1  .917  21 4 Penn  8 4  .667  19 9 Columbia  7 5  .583  9 15 Dartmouth  5 7  .417  10 14 HARVARD  5 7  .417  6 18 Yale  5 7  .417  15 9 Cornell  4 8  .333  6 18 Brown  3 9  .250  9 15