Early Exit for Netmen in Texas Tournament

By Ishani Maitra, Contributing Reporter

The Harvard University men's tennis team began the 1992 spring season with an unexpected defeat deep in the heart of Texas.

A key injury and unfamiliar weather conditions led to a loss by the second-ranked Crimson at the hands of unseeded Rice, 5-4, at the H.E.B. College Tennis Team Tournament.

Harvard was one of the sixteen teams competing in the annual invitational, held in Corpus Christi.

The team went on the win its two remaining matches in the consolation bracket against Oklahoma State and Wisconsin, 6-0 and 6-0.

"This was a very disappointing showing for us," Coach Dave Fish said. "Rice is a good team, and they were very ready for us that first day.

"We were very happy to be playing this competition," Fish continued. "We hadn't played outside in the last six months or so, and we weren't able to get it together."

Senior Co-Captain Michael Shyjan also commented on the effect of having to play outdoors for the first time this year.

"We were playing a team that is outside all year," Shyjan said. "There was a lot of wind, and it was very hot. We made a lot of adjustments, but those were factors."

Another factor was the team decision to rest senior Co-Captain Michael Zimmerman, who was suffering from an aggravated shoulder injury. He was replaced at first doubles by Derrick Brown.

"This was a great opportunity to improve our ranking, but we have a lot of other tournaments coming up," Shyjan said. "It wasn't a do-or-die situation at all, and it wasn't worth ruining Zimmerman's shoulder."

Going into the doubles matches, the teams were tied at 3-3.

"Brown played a great match," Fish said, "but we couldn't quite make it. We lost by just one service break."

Successive losses at first and second doubles sealed the outcome for Harvard.

"We learned a lot this tournament," senior Albert Change said. "When we are playing badly, we can lose to anybody. I don't think anyone wants to make excuses. We didn't play as well as we should have."

The disappointing tournament showing did not drastically alter the team's optimistic outlook on the rest of the season.

"[The loss] doesn't change the fact that we have the strongest them we have ever had," Chang continued, "and when we go out the next time, we will be ready."