Squeeze Promoters, Penn & Teller Show Reject Council Bids

U.C. Scrambles to Find Replacement

By Mark W. Brown, Crimson Staff Writer

Undergraduate Council officials said last night that contract negotiations for performances by [both] the comedy duo Penn & Teller and by the English rock band Squeeze have come to a halt.

Social Committee Co-Chair Tree F. Loong '94 said talks with Squeeze, slated two weeks ago as the possible lead act in this year's "Rock For Shelter" concert, fell through in part because the promoter misinformed the council of the band's springtime plans.

"The promoter said they were touring, but they are in England," Loong said.

Concert organizers also found securing permission from immigration authorities for the event more complicated than expected, she said.

"It is difficult to get a work permit for artists," Loong said.

In an advertisement in last week's Independent, the Rock For Shelter planners requested volunteers for an all-out effort to secure a replacement for Squeeze.

Loong and Mary E. Dibbern '92, the other social committee co-chair, said that concert organizers are now sending out feelers to Big Audio Dynamite, 10,000 Maniacs, the Indigo Girls, and Bonnie Rait.

Dibbern also said that Madonna was a possible "long shot."

The Penn & Teller performance, which planners had hoped would better last year's Steven Wright act, broke down last Monday when the promoter told the council the comedy and magic duo had too many other obligations.

Last semester, the council agreed to offer Penn & Teller $16,000 to perform, and hammered out a second bid this semester after the initial offer was turned down.

Vice Chair Malcolm A. Heinicke '93 called the Penn & Teller promoter's behavior "sleazy" after the original mix-up. Loong now says that the promoter had previously established an allegiance to other colleges.

"We're competing with other schools who have more money to spend and more freedom to spend it," Loong said.

In the future, Loong said she is hoping toavoid dealing with a "middle man."

"In this business, you have to shop around andtake [the promoter's] advice with a grain ofsalt," Loong said.

Loong expressed doubt over the feasibility of areplacement act this spring since the council isunlikely to have enough funds for both the springconcert and a comedy event. But Dennis Miller maybe a possibility for next fall, she said.

In the other business, the council votedunanimously to spend its $5000budget surplus during next month's grantallocation process.

Chair David A. Aronberg '93 initiated thereallocation and, after the meeting, denounced aCrimson article which he said inaccuratelyclaimed he had promised to dip into the budgetsurplus this year to fun student organization.

Aronberg denied ever having made such acampaign promise, but says the council will spendthe rolled over funds, in order to reverse whathe called a tendency on the part of past councilsto "hoard the surplus."

Despite running a substantial surplus, Aronbergsaid past councils met only 30 percent of grantdemands. The additional funding had been rolledover from previous council budgets, $2000 of whichwas carried over from emergency funds.

Aronberg said he decided to spend the budget surplus this semester to make good on his pledge to increase services to students and to shed the council's "parsimonious" reputation.

"I thought it was fair, now that the council isin the black, to make sure the other studentsorganizations are in the black as well," he said.

In another matter, the council's date rapesubcommittee will hold an open forum Wednesday at7:30 p.m. in the basement of Canaday B. Thesubcommittee and students attending will discuss anumber of contentious issues in the recentproposal by the Date Rape Task Force