Dunster, Adams Tie For Food Service Cup

By William C. Slaughter, Contributing Reporter

Maybe it's the dim lighting.

The Adams and Dunster House dining halls recently tied for the Director's Cup, an award newly created by Dining Services Director Michael P. Berry.

The award seeks to recognize "the undergraduate dining hall that has best achieved the goals of the department in providing quality food to Harvard students," Berry said.

This year's winners were chosen on the basis of house visits, comment cards, student interviews and house masters' observations as well as the general impression made by each house dining hall, Berry said.

Berry said that because this is the first year the Director's Cup has been awarded, the decision was especially tough.

"I felt it was important to recog- nize how far all the houses have come," Berrysaid. "I'm extremely pleased with the progress ofthe entire Dining Services department."

The Dining Services director praised theDunster-Mather kitchen for the consistently highquality of its food and singled out Dunster Housefor its superior service. "Dunster is a house thatday in, day out does it right, with a consistentlyhigh standard of service," he said.

Berry also praised the quality of service inAdams, particularly the house's festive holidaydinners and the staff's enthusiasm.

`Outstanding Job'

"Adams has done an outstanding job on festivemeals. They seem to enjoy what they're doing," hesaid. "They've been absolutely spectacular."

In addition to the Director's Cup, whichrecognizes overall achievement by an entire team,individual awards were given to employees of everydining hall for outstanding service, Berry said.

Dining Services employees said they wereenthusiastic about the Director's Cup and theother new awards.

"I think it's an excellent idea. It motivatespeople. It makes you feel good about what you'redoing," said Paul J. Ward, a Dunster dining hallworker.

The Adams dining hall staff--which prefers tobe called the "A Team"--was also thrilled with theaward, according to Assistant Manager RonCockcroft

`Outstanding Job'