Bass Drum To Receive Complete Overhaul

By Sunah N. Kim, Contributing Reporter

After almost half a century of spurring Harvard teams on to victory, the University Band's trademark Big Bass Drum is scheduled for a complete overhaul this summer.

The drum dates from the 1950's, and the years have taken their toll, said Melika M. Fitzhugh '94, an assistant manager of the band.

Band Manager Victor W. Hwang '93 called the gigantic drum--it measures about 6 feet in diameter--the "lightpost of school spirit."

Over the years, the drum's wood has warped and its general sound quality has deteriorated, Fitzhugh said. It will be sent to a percussion specialist in California this summer.

The extensive renovations will include replacing drum heads and restoring the entire drum shell, Conductor Thomas G. Everett said.

Although the Remo Company, which will be performing the renovations, has offered its services free of charge, shipping and handling expenses must be covered by the band.

The band is appealing to the Harvard community to help finance these other costs, which may add up to several thousand dollars, Everett said.

"Without the drum, the band just wouldn't be the same," Drill Master Jonathan G.S. Koppell '93 said in a press release.

If everything goes as scheduled, the drumshould return to Harvard in time for the fallfootball season.

During its years with the band, the Big BassDrum has survived not only countless performancesbut numerous adventures and potential mishaps aswell.

Ivy Rival Hijinks

According to Hwang, several Brown studentsdisguised themselves as television journalistslast year in an attempt to steal the drum. Theywere ultimately caught and arrested, but the banddid not press charges.

And this fall at The Game in New Haven, YaleUniversity made an imitation of the Big Bass Drumand tried to blow it up.

"Fortunately, the plans backfired," Hwang said.

School Spirit at Stake

Hwang said he hopes the restoration of the drumwill also help to highlight the broader issue ofschool spirit.

Hwang expressed concern for Harvard's dearth ofschool spirit, pointing out that most Harvardstudents do not know the lyrics of "10,000 Men ofHarvard," the College's fight song.

Hwang said that at many games, Harvardspectators fail to sing along with the band andparticipate in their cheers.

"At away games, [the band members] get reallylonely," he said.

One of the band's most important mission is toreverse flagging school spirit, Hwang said.

Band officers will express their concerns aboutschool spirit to Harvard administrators, Hwangsaid, adding that he hopes the administrators andstudents can come together to brainstorm ideas forboosting school morale.

"The band aspires to rebuild spirit in theHarvard community," Hwang said

Ivy Rival Hijinks

School Spirit at Stake