Medical School Professor Covered Up for Colleague, Psychotherapist Charges

By Robin Kolodny, Crimson Staff Writer

A Cambridge psychotherapist charged yesterday that Harvard Medical School faculty members attempted to cover up for a colleague accused of seducing a patient who later killed himself.

At least one member of the school's faculty tried to hide allegations that Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry Margaret H. BeanBayog '65 had an affair with a patient and caused him to kill himself, according to the psychotherapist, Amy Stromsten.

Stromsten said she met several times with the patient, Paul Lozano, between 1987 and his death in 1991, and had established a good relationship with him.

In an affidavit filed Wednesday in Middlesex Superior Court, Stromsten charged that Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry Bernard S. Levy "was covering up Dr. Bean-Bayog's serious misconduct."

Levy, a respected Newton psychiatrist, could not be reached for comment yesterday. His answering service said he was out of town and would return tonight.

And in an interview with The Crimson yesterday, Stromsten said she suspects that several physicians, including Harvard Medical School professors, are involved in covering up Bean-Bayog's alleged sexual relationship with Lozano.

State officials are investigating charges that Bean-Bayog had sex with Lozano and drove him to suicide by making him pretend to be her three-year-old child.

Lozano killed himself with a lethal cocaine injection one year ago. The 28-year-old Harvard medical student died three months before he would have graduated.

Bean-Bayog, who treated Lozano from July 1986 to June 1990, has vehemently denied having sex with Lozano and maintains that her treatment of the patient was completely appropriate. She has also characterized Lozano's death as "accidental."

Stromsten said she contacted Levy in May 1991 with concerns about Bean-Bayog's treatment. She said she believed Levy "had a close and confidential relationship with Dr. Bean-Bayog."

Levy told her that Bean-Bayog had masturbated in front of Lozano and that they had a sexual relationship, Stromsten said.

"I was horrified that Levy knew that she masturbated in front of Lozano and dismissed it," she said in the interview.

"He said it was no big deal. He thought the kid was crazy so it didn't matter," Stromsten added.

Levy also told her that an investigation into Bean-Bayog's conduct had been closed and that she should continue referring patients to Bean-Bayog, Stromsten said.

Stromsten also said that Assistant Professor of Psychiatry Frances R. Frankenburghad participated in Lozano's treatment and thatFrankenburg "questioned releasing him into thecare of Dr. Bean Bayog."

A secretary at his office in McLean Hospitalsaid Frankenburg declined to comment.

Stromsten filed an affidavit Wednesday as partof a malpractice and wrongful death suit broughtagainst Bean-Bayog by Lozano's family.

In the affidavit, she said Bean-Bayog, 48,discussed her "erotic sexual feelings" for Lozanoduring a professional consultation group in 1990.

Stromsten said Lozano later told her he had asexual relationship with Bean-Bayog for "a numberof years." She said Lozano felt "ashamed,embarrassed, dirty" about the "kinky" relationshipand continued it because "he wasn't paying hervery much."

Bean-Bayog has questioned Stromsten'scredibility and knowledge of the case. She hascontradicted Stromsten's description of Lozano asa clean-cut medical student, insteadcharacterizing him as a liar and thief who"harbored homicidal, violent and delusionalthoughts."

The case has been in the public spotlight sincethe Lozano's attorney filed thousands of pages ofdocuments in court, including notes, letters andwritten sexual fantasies allegedly in Bean-Bayog'shandwriting.

The media attention has prompted Bean-Bayog'sattorneys to move to place a gag order on allphysicians and relatives involved in the case,Stromsten said.

Medical School officials have been trying todistance themselves from the Bean-Bayog case.

"She was a part-time, unsalaried facultymember," said Sylvia L. Memolo, a Medical Schoolspokesperson.

"Bean-Bayog was not actually teaching withinthe University," said Suzanne Rauffenbart,associate dean for public affairs.

Bean-Bayog is based in private practice inLexington and is affiliated with the CambridgeCity Hospital Rauffenbart said.

She said Bean-Bayog's teaching role is limitedand "in tracking hospitalized patients she'd takemedical students on rounds."

The Medical School last May placed Bean-Bayogon leave and took her name off all referral listsone week after hearing about the charges.

"A special committee was established to reviewthe allegations and immediately, in one meeting,the decision was made to put Bean-Bayog onadministrative leave," said Rauffenbart, addingthat the school is not conducting its owninvestigation.

In contrast, Bean-Bayog's attorneys havepublicized her links with the University.

"She received her undergraduate, graduate andpost-graduate training at Harvard... She is anassistant clinical professor of psychiatry atHarvard Medical School, where she has taughtnumerous undergraduate and post-graduate courses,"read one press release.

The case has stunned the medical community.Some physicians have spoken in support ofBean-Bayog, a respected expert on alcohol abuse,while others say they still have unansweredquestions.

But most Harvard psychiatrists are not talking.Officials at the Harvard-affiliated McLeanHospital said doctors have been instructed not totalk to the media.

The Board of Registration in Medicine, whichhas come under fire for not responding sooner tomisconduct complaints, against Bean-Bayog, decidedMonday not to revoke Bean-Bayog's license pendingfurther investigation and a formal hearing.

The board said a lost letter and missingmedical records delayed the agency'sinvestigation. According to a chronology releasedyesterday, the board was first contacted 15 monthsago with complaints about Bean-Bayog.Photo courtesy of The Boston Herald