Nieman Fellows Appointed

Twelve Journalists Awarded Mid-Career Fellowships

By Maggie S. Tucker, Crimson Staff Writer

Twelve American journalists have been named Nieman Fellows for the 1992-93 academic year.

The Nieman Foundation offers mid-career fellowships to accomplished journalists from the U.S. and around the world. The fellowships enable them to spend a year studying a topic of interest in any part of the University.

Next year's fellows include Rick Bragg, Miami bureau chief for the St. Petersburg Times; Heidi Evans, a reporter for the New York Daily News; Katherine Fulton, editor of the Independent, in Durham, N.C.; and Barbara Gutierrez, assistant managing editor of El Nuevo Herald, in Miami, Fla.

Samuel Hurst, a NBC News field producer; Dory H. Maynard, a reporter for the Detroit Free Press; Gregory Roberts, assistant metro editor of the New Orleans Times-Picayune; and Michael Skoler, science reporter for National Public Radio, were also awarded the fellow ships.

Olive Talley, reporter for the Dallas Morning News; Terry Tang, columnist for the Seattle Times; Andrew Tolan, executive producer with Desert West Research and Information; and Matthew Zencey, assistant editorial page editor of the Anchorage Daily News were also among those selected.

Next year's fellows are planning studies in the areas of history, public policy, the environment, and economics, among others, according to a statement released by the Foundation.