Police Nab Habitual Criminal

By Maggie S. Tucker, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) officers Wednesday apprehended a Somerville native with a long record of property crimes at the University.

Michael Ford, 43, was sought on charges of larceny, trespassing, receipt of stolen property and uttering a forged instrument.

Ford has been arrested numerous times in the past for thefts at the College and has been designated a "ha- on campus.

"It's not necessarily the money," Kim said."It's the efforts of both communities workingtogether."

Kim, who is also a member of the executiveboard of the East Coast Again Student Union, isconcerned with what the call the "inaccurateportrayal of Black-Korean relations by thenational media."

Both newspaper and television focus on negativenews while disregarding positive aspects of therelationship between Los Angeles' Black and Koreancommunities, Kim said.

Kim pointed to a segment on ABC'sNightline last week, when he says a shortclip of an emotional 100,000 person Koran rallymisrepresented Korean-Black relations in LosAngeles.

"They didn't say what [the rally] was about soeveryone would think [the Koreans] were having arally against Black," said Kim. "But it was apeace rally with Korean and Black speakers."

"The media is creating more problems," Kimsaid. "There are a lot of efforts in L.A. andthose things need to be emphasized."

Kim, who identified himself as aKorean-American is an Afro-American studies andsociology concentrator. He has resided in both theSouth Central and Koreatown areas of Los Angeles.

"I feel like both [the Korean and Black areasof Los Angeles] are my communities," he said. "Iknow people and have friends in both. I want to domy part, to do what I can.