HANDS--OFF PRESIDENTIAL ELECTIONS

The individual professor may dabble in the partisan politics of the presidential campaign, but he election is hads off for the University as a whole.

"There is no "Harvard connection' institutionally," according to Dillon Professor of International Affairs Joseph S. Nye Jr.

Laws governing the actions of nonprofit organizations forbid the University from endorsing individual candidates.

As an institution, Harvard lobbies on Capitol Hill to preserve research and financial and funds. An estimated 16 to 17 percent of the University's budget comes drom federal funding.

But when it comes to the partisan politics of the election, Jean Corlette, one of Harvard's there directors of federal relations, says the hands-off stance is also based on former President Derek C. Bok's belief that "morally and pragmatically, the University must stay out of the political realm,"

But Corlette says that in some ways. it doesn't even matter who wins the presidency.

"Both the Republican and Democratic candidates seem to believe that education and research are very important for the economic resurgence of the United States," Corlette says. "I don't imagine there is going to be a huge amount of difference.

Corlette adds that "it may be that a Democratic administration will be a little more of a risk-taker" and that a Democratic president with a Democratic Congress "Might be in a better position" to push for continued strong funding in education and research.