Summer Protectors Lack Students

Mix-Up Hits Quad

By David S. Kurnick, Crimson Staff Writer

A new computer program used to assign summer school students to dormitories has created great discrepancies in the sizes of proctor groups, with groups ranging from 30 students to zero, Dean of Students Christopher C. Queen said yesterday.

Queen said that all of the proctors who arrived at summer school to find no students assigned to their entry-way will have the opportunity to proctor, however.

"We're now in the process of trying to redistribute as far as possible," Queen said. "We're trying to make sure the proctors have a roughly equal number of students."

The computer program, which has not been used by the summer school in the past, filled up entryways one at a time rather than equally distributing the students among all the entryways.

The result is that, while the river dormitories are filled, others, including CabotHouse, are greatly underoccupied.

Proctors with few or no students will be ableto move into full entry-ways and share proctoringresponsiblities with those proctors assigned tolarger groups, Queen said. The adjustments willinvolve no moving on the part of summer schoolstudents, according to the housing office.

Queen said the administration will also givethe proctors the option to work in other parts ofthe summer school. Proctors may chose to work onthe summer session's Model United Nations program,or on a collaborative learning experiment thecollege is conducting.

Hitesh Hathi, the Assistant Dean of Cabot Houseproctors have only a few students. Hathi said thatthe proctors and summer school administrators willmeet this weekend to discuss the proctors'options.

"We're probably going to contract [the smallgroups] into larger groups," Hathi said. "We'remeeting as a group to decide these things."

Although Queen said some of the proctors wereunhappy to find themselves with few students, hesaid he thinks the problem should be worked outsoon. "[These proctors] are understandably eagerto get into proctoring. We should be able toaccommodate them," he said. "My guess is that bynext week everyone, both proctees and proctors,will be happy."

Several studentless proctors reached by TheCrimson yesterday refused to comment