Top Managers Get Pay Hikes Of About 7%

Union Calls $10,000 Raises `Absurd'

By Molly B. Confer, Crimson Staff Writer

Harvard's top administrators received pay raises ranging from 6.7 to 8.4 percent, according to documents recently filed with the Common-wealth of Massachusetts.

Members of the Harvard Union of Clerical and Technical Workers yesterday reacted angrily to the report. Union officials criticized the administrators for accepting pay raises at a time when worker's demands for a raise in salary are meeting with resistance.

"It takes a lot of nerve for an administrators to give himself a 7 or 8 percent raise and then ask a union member to sacrifice because times are tough," said Union President Donene M. Williams.

Union negotiators are pushing for higher wages but University officials say they cannot afford to bankroll a significant salary increase. The current Union payroll is $80 million per year.

Medical School Dean Daniel C. Tosteson '44 earned $240,000 in 1989-90. In 1990-91, he earned $258,000, a 7.5 percent increase in pay.

Business School Dean John H. McArthur alsoreceived a 7.5 percent increase in salary. In1989-90 he earned $ 180,000; his raise the nextyear gave him $193,500.

Union negotiators have accused both McArthurand Tosteson of dragging their heels in thecontract talks and refusing to offer high wages.University officials have vigorously denied thecharge.

Law School Dean Robert C. Clark, received a 6.8percent increase in pay, from $160,000 in 1989-90to $ 171,000 in 1990-91.

Most of the University officers listed on thedocuments also received raises. Former PresidentDerek C. Bok earned $199,986 in 1989-90 and$213,389 in 1990-91, a 6.7 percent increase. VicePresident for Finance Robert H. Scott earned$149,521 in 1989-90; the next year a 6.8 percentraise earned him $162,000. Vice President forAdministration Sally H. Zeckhauser received an 8.4percent increase in pay, from $142,000 in 1989-90to $154,000 in 1990-91.

Scott refused to comment and the otheradministrators did not return phone calls.

All non-profit organizations are required bylaw to file the names and salaries of theirofficers and their five highest paid employees theOffice of Public Charities in the state attorneygeneral's office.

The other two employees listed on the documentsfiled with the State were Ford Professor ofBusiness Administration Michael C. Jensen andBaker Professor of Administration Robert C.Merton, who each earned $182,662 this past year.

Neither of the two professors was listed in theUinversity's previous filing.

Merton, who joined the Business School facultyin 1988, said that while he is not insensitive tothe union's complaints, it was somewhat irrelevantto compare salaries.

"I don't see that comparison," he said. "Itwould be more relevant to compare figures insimilar types of work, in another top-flightuniversity," he said.

Merton added that his salary was comparable towhat other universities would pay their facultymembers in his field. "Harvard may even be payingme less," he said.

Yet the figures speak for themselves, accordingto Williams, who said the raises were "absurd."The amount of the raises, she said, ares imilar tothe amounts that some union members are trying tolive on, she said.

Officers of the University's subsidiaries alsoreceived large salaries in the fiscal year1990-91. Kristin S. Demong, President of HarvardReal Estate, earned $108,000.

And in his first year as President of HarvardManagement Company, Jack R. Meyer earned a hefty$575,000. Several other HMC officers earnedsix-figure paychecks including Treasurer VerneSedlacek, who earned $331,298, and Clerk MichaelThonis, who earned $180,000.

Ira E. Stoll contributed to the reporting ofthis article.