Locals Get in on Convention

Houstonians Volunteer to Watch Luminaries Speak

By Jonathan Samuels, Crimson Staff Writer

HOUSTON--Everyone who has made his or her to the Astrodome his week, the members of the press corps, the delegates and the hordes of ralliers, has come here seeking a piece of the action.

And here, in this convention-mad city, even the locals couldn't resist missing the grand old party in the Astrodome, even if the only way in was to volunteer as an usher.

Ushers, ranging in age from high school students to senior citizens, have relieved the traffic flow throughout the Astrodome during the Republican National Convention's sessions. And though they are not paid for their hard day's work, many say that they've been rewarded with just the opportunity of witnessing the big shots give big talks. And most of them add they wouldn't think of doing anything else this week.

"It's a once in a lifetime chance to hear all of these famous people up close," said Lori Brickner, a Marriot sales representative who worked one of the evening sessions. "I just wish my boss would have let me come volunteer more evenings."

More than 3000 Houstonians answered radio, TV and newspaper ads that asked people to volunteer time as ushers and promised them a way inside the city's hottest event in recent years.

"Basically, there are a lot of political junkies who wouldn't get in on the action any other way," said Lynn Johnson, public affairs director of the Houston Host Committee.

Johnson said all of the volunteers were required to attend a three-hour training session before the convention.

While most ushers said the thrill of participating in the events made the sacrifice of time and energy worthwhile, a few whistled a more patriotic tune.

"I'm trying to be a good citizen by supporting my city and my country," said Bob Arnett, a retired businessperson. "The ambience here in convention is nice, but I'm really not for the political scene."

Henrietta Haessly, a homemaker who volunteered through the Republican women's Club, said she offered her time for a variety of reasons.

"I know a lot of the delegates, and I'm very interested in politics," Haessly said. "But most importantly, I'm just trying to make sure everyone has a good time."

No Fun

Some of the ushers said they weren't having as good a time at the convention as they had hoped they would. Bernadine Campbell has spent most of her time restraining aggressive reporters from storming the stage. Campbell says the whole event has been a little disappointing.

"To tell you the truth, I don't think the speakers have been as interesting as I expected. They just keep on saying the same things over and over again," Campbell said.