A Rough Road Ahead for Netmen

With Three All-Americans Gone, Harvard Anticipates A 'Tough Year'

By John B. Trainer, Crimson Staff Writer

With the loss of its top five players, among them three All-Americans, the men's tennis team has been reduced from undisputed East Coast powerhouse to sheepish pretenders to the Eastern throne.

"A lot of teams have been looking forward to this moment for the past four years," Coach David Fish said. "It's tough to lose what we did, and everybody thinks they're gonna get a piece of us. They might. But we're gonna fight like hell."

Last year, the team advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament for the first time ever.

This year, Fish is talking about playing the spoiler. Big difference. But one thing Fish refuses to do is call this year a rebuilding year.

Senior Captain Pete Stovell won't either.

"We still have a good coach, we have some good freshmen, and several players who have been waiting in the wings and working hard. We could still be the best," the Mather resident said. But Stovell also concedes the inescapable: "It will definitely be a tough year."

This year, the team will be led by junior Marshall Burroughs, Stovell, sophomore Andrew Rueb and sophomore Umesha Wallooppillai, who returns after spending last spring concentrating on academics.

Several members of last year's "B" team are looking to move to the big time.

Sophomore Chris Laitala, sophomore Cesar Conde and junior Adam Meister have excellent chances to make the first team, according to Fish.

The freshman class is a wild card. "They're talented, but whether they can beat out any of the returners I don't know," Fish said.

Fish cited Todd Meringoff of Long Island as one of the most promising.

Despite the potential, there is no doubt other teams are salivating at the thought of revenge, West Virginia tops among them.

The Crimson defeated the powerful West Virginia team last year in one of the most exciting bouts of the season. The two schools have an intense tennis rivalry. This year, the Mountaineers should prevail.

"West Virgina is always our toughest opponent in the east,' Stovell said. "Princeton will also be strong as well. A lot of teams which we were able to blow past last year will give us a lot of trouble. There will be a lot of real tight matches."

Other tough dual matches will come from Columbia and Dartmouth, Ivy powers who bided their time in Harvard's shadow.

The Crimson's first big tournament will be the ECAC Team Championships, held in the second week in October. The winning team there will advance to the national team championships.

"We've got a shot at it," Fish said.

The first week in November brings the Rolex Indoor Championships. Fish claims his team has a shot there, too. But unless Fish and his crew can pull off a minor miracle, the truth is that optimism in the face of adversity is about the only thing going for this squad.

MEN'S TENNIS

Coach: Dave Fish

Captain: Peter Stovell

1991 Overall Record: 17-7

1991 EITA Record: 9-0

1991 EITA Finish: 1st

MEN'S TENNIS: '92 SCHEDULE 9/25  at Yale Invitational  TBA 10/2  Harvard Invitational  TBA 10/9  ECAC Invitational (at Yale)  TBA 11/5  Rolex Regional (at Princeton)  TBA