Claverly Resident Still In Critical, Stable State

By Alessandra M. Galloni, Crimson Staff Writers

The Lowell House sophomore who fractured his skull after falling three stories from a Claverly Hall fire escape Wednesday remained in critical but stable condition last night at a local hospital.

Theodore P. Klupinski III '95 was in a light coma, though responsive to some commands, according to friends of the family.

"He seems to be able to move everything, fingers, toes," said Dorothy S. Stewart, a close friend of Klupinski's parents. "He opened his eyes while we were there...I do think he can hear people."

But in an interview last night, Klupinski's father offered a more cautious assessment of his son's responsiveness to stimuli.

"[It is] to be determined," he said.

Our hopes and prayers are for his speedyrecovery."

Klupinski, 19, fell through a ladder hole andgrazed a second story landing directly belowbefore hitting his head on the sidewalk. He hadstepped out onto his room's fire escape to watchcomedian Billy Crystal receive an award on thesteps of the Lampoon Castle.

A crowd of nearly 250 that had gathered nearbyto see Crystal watched as four students ran to thestricken sophomore and began administering firstaid.

Paramedics from the Cambridge Fire Departmentrushed Klupinski to Boston's Beth Israel Hospitalwhere he underwent three hours of exploratorysurgery to determine the extent of the damage.

"They're worried about whether his brain hasbeen damaged," said Stewart. "The cat scan turnedout all right and they think there might not be[any brain damage], but...the next three days arecritical. Things may change because of swellingand pressure on the brain."

Stewart added that physicians remained guardedabout Klupinski's prognosis.

"When [the paramedics] brought him in, theythought he was going to die," Stewart said. "Theneurosurgeon said this afternoon [that] he'scoming; along according to schedule, which is verynoncommittal. However, the head of surgery...saidhe thought that there would be good physical andmental recovery."

Klupinski's father--who was at his son's sidemoments after the accident--remained at thehospital last night along with the student'smother, who flew an Wednesday evening from thefamily's home in Hudson, Ohio.

"The father is going to stay at least until.Sunday. He wants to stay through the crisisperiod," said Stewart, "Teddy's mother will stay onuntil he's out."

It is unclear whether the family is consideringlegal action against the University.

President Neil I. Rudenstine has visitedKlupinski's parents in the hospital and hastelephoned them several times since the accident,Stewart said.

"He wanted to see if there was anything he could do for the parents," she said. "They are very impressed and enheartened by the warmth."

In a prepared statements issue yesterday,Rudenstine expressed concern for Klupinski andwarned other students to take precautions toprevent further accidents.

"I want to urge everyone--especially in thesedays when so many students and families are oncampus, when people are moving in and when thereare automobiles everywhere--to be as careful aspossible," Rudenstine said