It's All Optimism for Polomen

A BRIEF LOOK

By John B. Trainer

The Harvard men's water polo team is coming off a disappointing season, failing to qualify for the Eastern Championships for the first time since 1981, when the team was awarded varsity status.

The team also lost five seniors from the 18-member squad.

So why is Coach Andy Freed '90 optimistic? Not even he can really say.

"We're going to be much stronger than anyone thinks," Freed said. "People think that because we did so poorly and lost some good players we're not going to be good. But it's quite the opposite."

Freed cites team chemistry as the strength of his squad, which he ranks as one of the best in the East.

Eastern water polo is dominated by Slippery Rock (Penn.), which plays on par with the traditionally stronger western schools.

Accordingly, water polo in the East is a contest for second place, where Brown, Harvard and Navy are the top contenders.

"If Slippery Rock loses a game to an East Coast team, it will be a major, major, upset," Freed conceded.

The NCAA awards two bids to teams from the East. With Slippery Rock an annual lock for one, the second usually goes to the runner-up of the Eastern Championships.

Freed thinks his team has a legitimate shot, despite never having beaten Brown.

"But this could be the year," Freed said.

Players to watch this year are hole forwards senior Co-Captain Chad Barker and junior Jeff Zimmerman, as well as sophomore driver Jose Busquets.

"This is an eager team, eager to play together and eager to win," senior Co-Captain Mason Ford said.

The team's season opens with the Eastern Invitational, held at Blodgett Pool on September 19 and 20. Harvard will host Villanova, Iona, Boston College and Navy.