Law School Alumni President Elected

By Joanna M. Weiss, Crimson Staff Writer

Former Harvard Overseer Wesley S. Williams '63 has been elected president of the Law School's alumni society, the school announced last week.

Williams, a member of the search committee that chose Neil L. Rudenstine as the University's 26th president, is the first Black alumnus to preside over the 30,000-member Harvard Law School Association.

A specialist in financial law, Williams is a partner with the firm of Covington & Burling.

Williams received his J.D. from Harvard Law in 1967, after earning an M.A. from the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy. He holds an LL.M. from Columbia University Law School, and is currently an S.J.D. candidate at Harvard Law School.

Formerly a member of the University's 30-member alumni governing board, Williams is now a member of such organizations as the Urban League of Washington, D.C. and the Executive Committee of the Washington Lawyers' Committee for Civil Rights Under Law.

He serves as an Executive Committee member ofthe Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company, as chairof the Broadcast Capital Companies, as vice-chairof the Blackstar Communications Corporation and asvice-chair of the Lockhart Companies.

Founded in 1886, the Harvard Law SchoolAssociation unites graduates who run more than 100major corporations and who practice law in 103countries.

The Law School, which is currently undergoing a$150 million campaign drive, opens its doors thisyear in the wake of publicity and controversy.Last year, students and activists vocallycriticized the Law School for its dearth ofminority and women faculty members