College Convenes Security Committee

Officials Push Meeting to 'Top of Priorities List' Because of Recent City Violence

By Marion B. Gammill, Crimson Staff Writer

Incidents of violence in Cambridge have prompted officials to reconvene a campus security committee.

The committee will meet within the next few weeks to discuss campus security concerens, Assistant Dean of Students Ellen H. Towne said yesterday.

Towne said the security committee planned to convene at some point during the year, but the recent sabotage of the Yard card keys and the attacks on several MIT students this week "put it the top of the priorities list."

She added that the committee will evaluate the recommendations made two years ago in light of the recent problems. The committee last met about a year ago, she said.

Members of the committee include Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III, Director of Physical Operations Michael N. Lichten and house committee chairs. Student representatives will be chosen through the Houses and through the Undergraduate Council, said Towne.

The dean's office also passed out sheets in dining halls the week, titled "Safety Advisory," that urged undergraduates to follow certain precautions.

The sheet asks students to walk in groups if possible, stay in well-lit areas when out after dark, and admit only people they know into their Houses of dorms, among other measures.

Harvard Police Chief Paul E. Johnson said he doesn't think students should be more worried than usual about safety in Cambridge.

"This is a freak thing," he said. "It could happen at any given time."

No extra patrols have been scheduled, he said. But he added that Yard police officers are investigating the sabotage of the card key reader system that occurred last week.

Johnson said the police department always emphasizes that students should always be vigilant. "They need to think defensively, to walk defensively," he said.

Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said yesterday that the Administrative Board discussed security matters at its weekly meeting Tuesday. He said he also intends to talk about the problem one-on-one with the Houses.

"Security is a very serious issue. [We feel] we ought to have a system that is as effective as it can be," he said.

No major changes are planned at this time, saidJewett, but some are being studied. Despite someproblems with the card key system newly installedon all the first-years dorms, Jewett said thinksit has improved security.

He said there are no plans to convert theupperclass houses to the card key system mosthouses are built around provides an extra measureof security. "We're working hard to come up withnew ideas, but we don't want to complicatematters," said Jewett.

He urged students to cooperate with securityforces and to contribute ideas for securityimprovements. "If a real proposal should be made,we would consider it," Jewett said.CrimsonHau Liu.Harvard police and security officers will beon alert during Yard rounds after a vandal damagedthe new keycard locks with glue. Officers PETERSKILLMAN and JOE BECK and pictured above.