Accident Victim Leaves Hospital

Claverly Resident Past Danger

By Susan S. Shin, Contributing Reporter

The Claverly resident who fell from a third-story fire escape two weeks ago has been discharged from the hospital, according to hospital officials.

Theodore P. Klupinski III `95 suffered no permanent injuries, according to his roommates.

"He's fine. There's no damage as far as we know...it's a miracle," said Xavier Badoux `95.

Klupinski was released on Saturday from Beth Israel Hospital, 11 days after his accident.

Currently he is staying with some friends in the Boston area, according to Badoux.

Klupinski is "definitely coming back" to the College, most likely at some point during this semester, Badoux said.

Klupinski suffered a fractured skull on September 16 when he fell through a ladder hole on his fire escape and grazed the landing directly below before hitting his head on the sidewalk.

He had stepped onto the fire escape to watch comedian Billy Crystal receive an award on the steps of the Lampoon Castle.

William M. Cook `95, another roommate, said Klupinski needs only time to regain his full strength and energy.

"After the accident we all prepared ourselves for much worse," said Cook. "I'm surprised at how quickly he recovered."

Badoux said that Klupinski did not remember much of the accident. "He found out most of it from the people around him in the hospital," he said.

Cook, who visited Klupinski three times in the hospital, said that on the first visit, "He was coherent but very weak."

With each successive visit, however, Klupinski seemed to become stronger, Cook said.

Both Badoux and Cook expressed joy and relief at Klupinski's quick recovery.

"We're happy to see him back, as happy as we can be," said Badoux. Cook said, "We are all overjoyed and relieved."

Klupinski will probably soon go home to his family in Hudson, Ohio for a while to rest, according to Badoux.

Cook said that although Klupinski will not take any classes this semester, he plans to return before the end of the term.