Women Earn Respect, Offices in Boxing Club

By Heather L. Clark, Contributing Reporter

Women may not show up on the Porcellian's punch list this week, but they have broken through the gender barrier in one overwhelmingly male activity at Harvard: boxing.

Lauren E. Gwin '93 and Robin L. Mitchell '94 became the first females to be elected boxing club officers--Gwin as vice-president, Mitchell as secretary.

"They're hard workers, and they both earned it," said Club President Douglas K. Clark '93. "Now it's our job to make sure we reach new boundaries and excel."

The club elected its officers at an informal dinner last spring. Club Member Julius R. Gaudio `93 said men on the boxing team had no trouble voting for women.

"I voted for them because they had devoted a lot of time to the sport, and I was confident they'd do a great job," Gaudio said.

"It's no big deal," Gaudio added. "It's not like they came in crusading a women's cause. They're just here to have fun like everyone else."

Gwin, an Adams House resident, said she started training with the team last October. She began sparring several months later, after what she describes as an intense schedule of workouts.

Gwin recalled that Coach Tommy Larson appeared wary when she first stepped into the ring.

"He didn't think it was bad," she said. "He just thought it would make things more complicated."

But she said that since she began boxing, Larson has overcome his ini- tial prejudices about women in the ring, andhas given her "simply amazing" coaching andguidance.

Gwin said only five or six women will spar thisyear for the club, which has a core of about 20people and a full roster of 100.

But she said she senses no tension between menand women in the club.

"The guys really respect me," she said. "Imean, I started with them. They don't see me asjust another girl."

Club member Steven J. Brann '95 said his maleteammates admire Gwin and Mitchell.

"They showed up to every practice all year andhad more time to devote to the club than some ofthe other men," he said.

Gwin's enthusiasm--she frequently travels withLarsen to pro and amateur boxing events--hasimpressed other team members, Brann said.

More Women

More women are becoming involved in boxingacross the country, Gwin said.

"There are a few female pro boxers," she said,"but a lot of women do it for the glamorouswrestler-type image. I like to think of myself asslightly ahead of the trend."

She said she is disappointed that Harvard willnot allow the club to compete at theintercollegiate level. "They think boxing is evil,but really, it's safer than hockey." she said

More Women