Ad Board Responds to CLUH Criticism

Committee Report States It Will Adopt Recommendations, Publish Pamphlet

By Asya M. Muchnick, Contributing Reporter

Harvard's Administrative Board released on Monday a detailed report of recent reforms made to its disciplinary procedures after weeks of negotiation with the Civil Liberties Union of Harvard (CLUH).

The body has agreed to publish a pamphlet describing the background, procedures and penalty precedents of the University's two disciplinary bodies, according to Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57.

"We are in the final stages of editing the handbook for students and would like to have it out by the beginning of spring semester," Jewett said.

The Ad Board also adopted four other CLUH recommendations, but did not take steps to address the issue of advocacy, said Allan H. Erbsen '94, CLUH's assistant director for University affairs.

Erbsen said students are often represented to the Ad Board by their senior tutors, who also sit on the body.

"The senior tutor is an agent of the Ad Board but is also the advocate of the student," Erbsen said.

"There is a conflict of interests with someone who is trying to represent both sides of the same coin at the same time," he added.

But Jewett said he felt reforming the advocacy policy was unnecessary. He said that the publication of the pamphlet will help students make informed choices.

"The issue comes down to whether the student feels the senior tutor should advise them or not," said Jewett. "We've made sure that people will get this information when they make these choices."

Earlier this fall, CLUH submitted a report to the Ad Board criticizing the University's discipline system.

The organization said that students summoned by the Ad Board are often not aware of their rights in the discipline process because of the lack of accessible, comprehensive information.

The Ad Board's recent report was focused on the operation of the two judicialbodies--the Ad Board and the Student FacultyJudicial Board--that hear undergraduatedisciplinary cases.

Despite the University's refusal to adopt thisrecommendation, CLUH is optimistic about theprospects of further reform and cooperationbetween the College and the organization, Erbsensaid.

"We are extremely pleased that they areadopting some of our reforms and are hoping thatwe can work to address the few remaining areas,"Erbsen said. "It's not over yet.