Wolf Gives Clinton's Team 'Wish List' of City Projects

By Anna D. Wilde, Crimson Staff Writer

Cambridge officials hope a Democratic administration in the White House will help funnel money to unfunded public projects on the city's "wish list."

Councillor Alice K. Wolf has presented to the Clinton transition office a list of "ready-to-go" programs which could be quickly implemented to stimulate the economy. Incoming Clinton appointees asked city officials for such suggestions at the National League of Cities meeting last month.

A much-needed revamping for Cambridge's sewer seperation facilities and water processing system was among her priorities, the councillor said.

"We've been chipping away at making the improvements," she said. "Eventually, a dangerous situation will develop if you ignore the issues."

Her other suggestions for the transition team included creating a model center for families, work on Hoyt Field Park and a revamping of the city-wide Senior Center.

"There's been a lot of deferred maintenance, a lot of deferred projects," Wolf said, and the new administration could make up for some long-term lacks.

Economic Concerns

"In the 70s and early 80s, federal money dried up," she said. "There was supposed to be state money and the state money and the state money dried up."

But according to Wolf, the Clinton team's commitment to the projects will rely on the state of the national economy.

If it improves markedly, she said, projects intended to provide immediate employment might not be considered necessary.

Although such high-level officials as Secretary of Labor-designate Robert B. Reich, a former lecturer at the Kennedy School of Government, and Vice President-elect Al Gore '69, an overseer, have strong ties to Cambridge, city officials don't expect any special treatment because of those links.

"I'm not terribly hopeful for that," Wolf said.