W. Hoopsters Stumble Their Way Past Huskies

Butler and Flandermeyer Pace Crimson in an Ugly Contest; Team Holds Off Late Husky Charge to Even Record at 4-4.

By John C. Ausiello, Crimson Staff Writer

The numbers in the win and loss columns are the only things that matter in competitive sports. Nothing else.

You can be sure that the Harvard women's basketball team is glad that's true.

The Crimson did win last night in Briggs Cage, 70-60. It beat a scrappy Northeastern squad, but this game was certainly no Picasso.

At times, this game was truly ugly. And I mean ugly. We're talking Normy from Cheers in a speedo (That's ugly.)

"We played sloppy tonight," Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith said. "We felt that we could handle them easily. As a result, we often let up at both ends of the court."

As a result of the let downs, Harvard found itself in a close game down the stretch.

With 2:25 left in the game Cordelia Washington of Northeastern connected on a three point play that cut the Harvard lead to 60-56.

On the play, Washington was able to beat the Crimson down court, upfake, draw a foul and sink the lay-up. The play epitomized Harvard's less than spectacular transition defense.

From this point on, however, Northeastern went cold from the floor. The Huskies failed to his another shot until 10 seconds were left and they were down 8 points.

Harvard was able to capitalize. During this stretch the Crimson sunk six straight clutch free throws--two each by Proudfit, Tammy Butler and Erin Maher.

Early Lead

In the first half, Harvard jumped out to an early lead, making this one look like a potential yawner.

Northeastern did not even connect from the floor until 12:50 left in the first half. At this juncture Harvard led 15-4. With Northeastern's shooting bordering on the incompetent, no one really thought that it would be a game.

Everyone was wrong.

Northeastern went on a small 7-0 run in the last two minutes of the first half to go into the intermission down 31-21.

The spurt was sparked by a combination of Northeastern's quickness and a couple of Harvard turnovers.

"We got off to a good start," Harvard freshman Elizabeth Proudfit said, "but then we lost our intensity."

The Northeastern rally was a sign of things to come. In the second half, Northeastern outplayed the superior Harvard squad for most of the twenty minutes.

Harvard looked flat. Maybe it was the recent California road trip. Or maybe it was a case of overconfidence. Whatever the reason, the Crimson did not play to its potential after intermission.

On the other hand the Northeastern squad came out flying in the second half. The Huskies played an intense second half skimming a lot of transition points off a sluggish Crimson squad.

"I give Northeastern credit," Delaney-Smith said. "They are great athletes and they used this athletic ability to get back into the game."

Still, the Crimson won on a night when it didn't play its best, but every team needs a few ugly wins to put togther a good season.

And the win column doesn't measure performance, it only registers results.

HARVARD, 70-60 at Briggs Cage Northeastern  21  39  --  60 Harvard  31  39  --  70

NORTHEASTERN: Washington 7-12 2-4 23; Artis 7-17 0-3 17; Jones 6-16 3-1 14; Hobson 1-7 3-2 4; Houser 1-5 0-4 2; McClintock 0-0 0-10 0; Robinson 0-4 3-2 0; Monday 0-0 0-2 0. Totals 22-61 8-29 60.

HARVARD: Flandermeyer 8-13 3-6 22; Butler 8-10 3-10 18; Maher 3-6 6-3 10; Proudfit 4-7 3-4 10; Frey 2-4 3-5 5; Reinhard 1-2 0-1 3; Phillips 1-2 0-0 2; McNamer 0-2 0-0 0; Cronk 0-1 0-0 0; Davis 0-0 0-2 0; Crisera 0-0 0-1 0. Totals 27-47 18-36 70.