Pitches Will Sing at Clinton Inaugural

All-Women A Capella Group Scouted by Inaugural Committee's Talent Division

By Amanda C. Pustilnik, Contributing Reporter

Some seek glory and some have glory thrust upon them.

The Radcliffe Pitches, an all-women a capella group, have been chosen to sing at one of President-elect Clinton's nine inaugural balls in Washington, D.C.

While over 3,500 singing groups applied to the Talent Division of the Inaugural Committee, scouts from the committee asked the Pitches to apply.

"Well, the group is fantastic, of course," said Allison F. Borchers '93, the Pitches' business manager, in response to why the Pitches were scouted.

Two members of the Inaugural Committee approached the Pitches and asked them to apply after the Harvard-Yale Jamboree, where the Yale Whiffenpoofs, the Krokodiloes and the Pitches sang.

The Whiffenpoofs, who sang at President Bush's inauguration in 1988, invited the scouts to the Nov. 21 jamboree. While the Krokodiloes have been invited to sing at Inauguration, it is unclear whether the Whiffenpoofs will sing as well.

The Pitches' presence at Inauguration will balance that of Harvard's all- male Krokodiloes. But the Pitches are quick topoint out that they were chosen for theirexcellence, not their gender.

Unlike the Krokodiloes, who mounted a spiritedcampaign to procure recommendations from suchalumni as Sen. John D. Rockefeller '58 (D-W. Va.)and Massachusetts Gov. William F. Weld '66, thePitches took a more relaxed approach to theirapplication.

"I just sent things [demo tapes] down there andkept in touch," Borchers said.

The Pitches do not yet know at which of thenine inaugural balls they will sing. They mayappear at the New England Ball, alongside theKrokodiloes, according to Borchers.

The Pitches will sing their most popularnumber, "Scotch and Soda," and other jazz, swingand big band pieces characteristic of theirrepertoire.

"We also have a `Don't Be Cruel' medley. SinceClinton is such an Elvis fan, we might sing thatone," said Katia B. Guillory '94, music directorof the Pitches.

Other acts scheduled to perform at theinaugural balls will include U2, the GratefulDead, Los Lobos and Fleetwood Mac