Shuttle Services Will Be Extended

By Joshua S. Kreitzer, Contributing Reporter

Harvard students and faculty who live in Somerville will have a new option for easy, affordable transportation home.

Beginning Monday, a new van service dubbed "Home Run" will run one-way from Cambridge to Somerville from 7 p.m. to 1:15 a.m. nightly except Saturday, said Jeffrey L. Smith, Harvard's associate director of transportation services.

The 13-passenger van, operated by the Facilities Maintenance Department, will pick up riders hourly at the International Legal Studies building, the Science Center and the Fairchild Biochemistry Lab, and drop them off at their homes in Somerville.

The service, available to all Harvard studentsand employees, will be subsidized as a pilotprogram for the spring semester by the Law Schooland the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Passengers will be charged $2 per ride, but10-ride and 20-ride tickets will be sold at adiscount in the Biology Labs Cafe, the DudleyHouse Cafe and Langdell Hall 194.

Home Run was established at the request ofstudents in the Law School and (GSAS), whose ranksin Somerville exceed 850, according to aFacilities Department statement.

"I think [Home Run] is a great gesture on thepart of the University to help meet the safetyneeds of students who live in the Somervillearea," said Kathryn Welter, president of theGraduate Student Council.

Welter, who served on the task force thatcreated the service, said graduate students havesought such a service for the past five to sevenyears.

"We're really excited that this is finallycoming around," said Marie-Louise Ramsdale,president of the Law School Council.

"My only wish is that it would be a freeservice," said Ramsdale, who was also a member ofthe task force. "But the prices are reasonable.