Police Warn Cabot Students of Stalker

By Andrew L. Wright

Harvard police and Cabot House officials are warning students about a man they say is stalking a Cabot House student and "represents a serious danger to the student he is stalking."

Cabot House tutors told students at "cookie and milk" house meetings Sunday that the alleged stalker, Christopher O. Aburime, has been arrested and is currently under observation at an area mental institution, students said.

But the police flier and house officials reiterated warnings that students should remain aware of the possibility that the stalker may return.

Aburime, 23, is a Black male with brown eyes and a slight mustache, according to a description provided by police. He is five feet, 10 inches tall and weighs about 150 pounds, according to police.

The Harvard University Police Department's Criminal Investigation Division last week provided Cabot House officials with a flier describing the man. Copies of the flier were distributed to tutors and students at house meetings Sunday.

Aburime, who could not be reached for comment at a Revere address given by police, wears black tennis shoes and may be carrying a vinyl bag, according to the police description. He talks very quickly and with an accent, the description says.

The flier distributed to students says they should "not provide [Aburime] details of the whereabouts of any Cabot student...Please notify police immediately if you see him."

A restraining order is in effect against Aburime, who has been known to wear either a blue shirt with a white tie or a gray shiny suit with a black and white sweater, police said.

Harvard police Lt. John F. Rooney, the spokesperson for Harvard's Criminal Investigation Division, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Sources who said they knew the student allegedly being pursued by the stalker told The Crimson yesterday that she is a transfer student. The student's phone number is disconnected, and she could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Neither Julian Chang, Cabot's senior tutor, nor Cabot House Master Jurij Striedter could be reached for comment yesterday.

Students interviewed at dinner in Cabot House yesterday said they were concerned, but not overly so.

"I don't personally feel threatened, but I think he may be a threat to some people," said David M. Heilman '95.

Jenna B. McNeill `95 agreed. "I think it's isolated to that one individ- ual. I feel it is a threatening situation andshould be taken seriously," she said.

Cynthia J. Dunbar '95 felt the situationbrought up the issue of tighter security. "Ingeneral, we have not been very careful aboutletting people in," she said.

Julie H. Park contributed to the reportingof this story.