City News Briefs

By Elizabeth T. Bangs

Community TV Celebrates Anniversary

Cambridge Community Television is celebrating its fifth birthday with the Freedom of Expression Festival, "exploring the challenges facing a society that truly fosters dialogue," from October 25 to 30.

On Monday, Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 and the Cambridge City Council will proclaim "Freedom of Expression Week."

On Wednesday, CCTV, along with the Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts, will broadcast "When to Turn It Off," a program teaching children to be "discriminating television viewers."

Thursday will be the first day of BE LIVE Cambridge, billed as "a combination of talk radio, electronic soapbox and town meeting," from 2 to 5 p.m., followed at 7:30 p.m. by The Fringe Voice.

CCTV is hosting a Birthday Party/Potluck Supper in the studio at One Kendall Square at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, October 29.

Finally, next Saturday from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m., CCTV will sponsor Preventing Violence in Cambridge, a live speakout, in the courtyard of the Cambridge Center for Adult Education, 42 Brattle St.

High School Observes Coming Out Day

Cambridge Rindge and Latin School observed National Coming Out Day last week with a series of assemblies featuring prominent gay and lesbian members of the community.

Mayor Kenneth E. Reeves '72 spoke to at least 100 students in a morning assembly on October 8, said Bert H. Giroux, director of public information for the Cambridge Public Schools.

Cambridge Rindge and Latin School graduate Jessica Byers, student Khadijah Britton, and student-teacher Tory Wilson spoke at an afternoon assembly attended by close to 500 students, Giroux said.

"They told their story. They told how they approached the issue with their family and friends," he said.

WBZ-TV journalist Randy Price and attorney and author Karen Harbech also held assemblies during the day.

The high school first observed National Coming Out Day in 1991, and Giroux said parents and faculty have been very supportive.

"We're a very diverse community. We try to be progressive, and we've been quite successful," he said.