New Directors Join K-School

Clark to Head CSIA; Wilson to Oversee Wiener Center

By Douglas M. Pravda

William C. Clark will head the Center for Science and International Affairs (CSIA), and Julie B. Wilson will direct the Malcolm Wiener Center for Social Policy at the John F. Kennedy School of Government.

Clark, who is Harman Professor of International Science, Public Policy, and Human Development, and Wilson, who is a lecturer at the Kennedy School, were recently selected by Kennedy School Dean Albert Carnesale and other faculty members.

Carnesale called the new directors "superbly qualified" and said "it is good of them to serve the Kennedy School in these administrative capacities in addition to the teaching and research."

Clark said the CSIA has a new agenda, dealing with issues of security and science and technology.

"We are focusing our work in the issues of cooperative denuclearization of the former Soviet Union and the U.S.," he said.

"We are looking at national and international policy issues associated with the Internet, the computer networking system," he added.

Clark said the center is also in the process of publishing a book on policies for global climate change.

Clark, formerly the assistant director of the CSIA, replaced Director Ashton B. Carter, who left to become the assistant secretary for nuclear security and counter proliferation in the U.S. Department of Defense.

Wilson, who was co-director of the Wiener center, takes over sole control because former co-director David T. Ellwood left to become assistant secretary for policy and evaluation at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.