Turkish P.M. Speaks On East-West Bridge

By Terry H. Lanson

Turkish Prime Minister Tansu Ciller visited Harvard yesterday as part of her United States trip that included a meeting with President Clinton.

At a private luncheon at 17 Quincy St., Ciller spoke to 35 Harvard faculty members and 10 members of her entourage about Turkey and its relationship to the West.

"She gave a very upbeat talk about Turkey's role as a bridge between East and West," Associate Director of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies Thomas D. Mullins said. "She stressed Turkey's role as a secular democracy in a world threatened by fundamentalism," he said.

Mullins said the Turkish government is raising money in Turkey to establish an endowed professorship in Turkish studies at Harvard.

"We are very keen on developing Turkish studies here," Mullins said.

Ciller, a mother of two, has a doctorate in economics from the University of Connecticut and has lectured at the University of Bosporus in Turkey.

University Marshal Richard M. Hunt, who attended the luncheon, said she is "a new political figure--a young academic women in a Muslim country."

Mullins called Ciller a "dynamic and attractive person and a very positive personality."

Her program, he said, is "good for Turkey and good for the interests of liberal democracy."

More than 100 students, visitors, and security personnel lined Quincy Street yesterday afternoon to see the prime minister as she emerged from the luncheon.

Many in the crowd who gathered after theluncheon to greet the prime minister expressedsupport for her agenda.

Edward Tashij, director of the public affairscommittee for the Federation of Turkish AmericanAssociations, said he supports Ciller because ofher "allegiance to the U.S. and her desire tomaintain close bonds with the U.S."

Abdurrahman Binyarrak, a Turkish native whohopes to enroll in the University of Massachusettsin January, joined a group of about 20 Turkishstudents waving flags, singing Turkish songs andshouting in support of the prime minister. "Sinceshe came, the people of Turkey can get universaleducation," Binyarrak said.

Reaction to Ciller's appearance was not allpositive. Shortly after Ciller left, eyewitnessesspotted an airplane flying over Harvard Yard witha banner reading "Turkey out of Cyprus."

Harvard police, Cambridge police, MassachusettsState police, and Secret Service agents worked tokeep the crowd away from Ciller