Harvard Braces For Head

200,000 Spectators Expected for Race

By Brian D. Galle

Nearly 200,000 people from around the globe will descend upon Cambridge this weekend for the 29th annual Head of the Charles Regatta.

Already, Harvard has begun bracing for the storm of eager spectators.

While all houses have prohibited keg deliveries for the weekend, some houses have decided to take additional measures this year to ensure safety.

Diane A. Barrios, assistant to the master in Kirkland House, said Kirkland has banned all social functions, public and private, for the weekend. Assistants to the masters in Mather and Adams said they are permitting parties, as long as hosts follow the usual procedure of registering them in advance.

On Wednesday, the Dean of Students Office distributed fliers to the Yard and all of the houses, outlining this year's security measures.

Most visible of these measures will be the locking of the gates of Harvard Yard and the houses, beginning at 4 p.m. Saturday and continuing at the houses through the same time on Sunday.

Gates in the Yard will open at 8 a.m. Sunday to allow easier access to Memorial Church, said Acting Chief Lawrence J. Murphy of the Harvard Police Department.

In years past, the gates had been locked byFriday evening. But Dean of Students Archie C.Epps III said the crowds have been better behavedfor the past two years. "Saturday night is thehigh-risk night," he said.

Most students seem more or less resigned toaccepting the restrictions. "I think it's one ofthe worst weekends up here," says Brian Brissette'95. "It's a hassle to do anything on campus. I'llprobably go downtown."

Epps said the security restrictions arenecessary to protect the campus.

"I regret that we have to be so securityminded, but experience has taught us we were wiseto do so," he said.

"Our initial experience was that there wasabuse of college property, people sleeping inhallways, relieving themselves in masters' gardensand the like," he said.

Harvard police have prepared for the event aswell, briefing all of their officers on expectedsituations. During the weekend officers will bestationed at all of the locked gates, as well asat the boat houses and across the Charles River atvarious points in the Business School.

Guests who wish to stay at Harvard must beregistered by today with either the host's houseoffice or proctor. House officials yesterday saidthey expect between 10 to 40 guests to beregistered