Marius' Behavior Inappropriate For Job?

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:

I am writing to add my voice to those expressing concern in the recent Crimson series on Richard Marius and the Expository Writing program. After reading the article about the program in last April's issue of Perspective, I wrote a letter to Marius discussing some of my concerns about the Expository Writing program and his comments in the article and his subsequent letter.

Among other concerns, I mentioned that I had been troubled by the fact that my section leader had told me in one of the program's touted one-on-one meetings that [the section leader] had spent time in a mental institution. I also noted that I was troubled by Marius' veiled threat to look up the grade the author of the Perspective article received in Expository Writing; I suggested that such an act, even if legal, certainly violated the spirit of the Buckley Amendment.

The response from Marius? One line of text. "Thank you for your letter. I enjoyed it immensely."

I wrote back to Marius, indicating that he had failed to address any of my concerns, to say the least, and that I could therefore only assume that he agreed with my criticisms.

His reply almost defies description. It was a barrage of insults and brusque comments. It was a letter I would expect a junior high school student would be too mature to write, much less the Director of the Expository Writing program. Marius seemed particularly fascinated by the fact that I am also on the staff of Perspective. Apparently convinced that I was part of a conspiracy against him, he lashed out at "[Perspective's] warped agenda."

Richard Marius has no power over me, unlike many of the unfortunate people quoted in the Crimson's series. I therefore have no fear of speaking my mind. For the record, Mr. Marius: I am not part of a conspiracy against you. I am simply another student who was vastly disappointed by the Expository Writing program, and is amazed by how you have responded to (valid) criticism. If you truly are the competent administrator you believe yourself to be, you should have realized that the time has long since passed for you to depart. Your continued presence speaks for itself. Jol Silversmith '94