Sprinkle Honored

IVY FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK

The Harvard football team's superior effort against Princeton drew some raves around the Ivy League: for the second straight week, the league named a Harvard player to its weekly honor roll.

This week it was sophomore full back David Sprinkle, who took home the Rookie of the Week award for his 107-yard day in the Crimson's 21-10 loss to the Tigers. Sprinkle was the first back to gain over 100 yards against Princeton in 13 games.

The Tigers still have the nation's 13th-ranked rushing defense, however, at 97.7 yards per game.

Dartmouth quarterback Jay Fiedler pulled off Offensive Player of the Week honors for rallying the Big Green to a 28-27 come-from-behind thriller over Cornell.

Cornell led, 27-14, when its extra-point try was blocked and run back for two points by the Big Green. Down 27-16, Fiedler quickly moved his team in for a touchdown, but Dartmouth's two-point conversion fell short.

Still behind by five points, Fiedler led the Big Green down the field again and scored in the final minute on a 29-yard touchdown toss to John Hyland for the victory.

The biggest game of the year continues to look like the Princeton-Pennsylvania rumble in Philadelphia November 6. The Tigers are ranked 21st in Division I-AA, while the Quakers are ranked 25th.

While Princeton just eked by Harvard, Pennsylvania destroyed Brown, 34-9, as quarterback Jim McGeehan (21-for-32, three touchdowns) and wide receiver Miles Macik (two TD catches) continue to dazzle on Franklin Field's artificial turf.

After Harvard's 41-25 demolition of Holy Cross, The Game seems more secure. But Yale racked up 510 yards of offense in a 35-28 win over Columbia--253 through the air, where the Crimson has been weak. Don't bet the farm yet.