Studying May Murder Books

Full Moon for Head of Charles Event

By Jennifer L.burns

Despite a relatively crime-free head of the Charles weekend, there was one unusual episode and several scattered arrests, local police said yesterday.

"There was a guy mooning people in an elevator," said Cambridge Police Lt. Frank T. Pasquarello. "It was probably one of those Harvard students."

The unidentified mooner was booked for "open and gross" behavior, Pasquarello said.

Cambridge police took several people into protective custody for alcohol violations and arrested one person in Harvard Square for the sale of narcotics, Pasquarello said.

Harvard police were unable to report on any specific incidents. Lt. John F. Rooney said the weekend was "average for a Harvard weekend, extra average for a Head of the Charles."

"[The crowd] was very polite and very law abiding," said Pasquarello. He added that the number of incidents handled by the police during the last few Head of the Charles Regattas has "pretty much stayed the same."

On Sunday night, officials at Mt. Auburn Hospital and University Health Services said that the regatta had sent nothing unusual their way.