Lawyer Seeks Out Victims of HUPD Abuse

By Jeffrey C. Milder

In an effort to expose alleged chronic problems of physical mistreatment, disrespect and race-related antagonism in Harvard's police department, a Boston lawyer is seeking students who say they have been harassed by police.

Harvey A. Silverglate, a 1967 graduate of Harvard Law School, placed a quarter-page ad in yesterday's Crimson asking students to approach him with their stories.

Silverglate said he had been hired by three different clients in the past year who claim they suffered unlawful mistreatment at the hands of Harvard police.

In an interview yesterday, Silverglate said he wants to find out whether "the experiences of many of [his] clients are the exception or the rule."

Acting Police Chief Lawrence J. Murphy said yesterday he did not know who Silvergate's clients might be. Murphy also said he had not spoken with Silverglate.

The police department has long been dogged by students' charges that it stops and harasses Black and other minority students simply on the basis of their race.

Police and University officials have denied the charges. But as recently as 1992, the Black Students Association charged the police with racial harassment in a flyer distributed around campus.

Silverglate said that problems of harassment and disrespect may indicate that Harvard officers are alienated from the students they serve.

The lawyer charged that Harvard's force of more than 50 officers had "the problems of a big-city police force."

"One of the things about big-city police departments is that the police force is alienated from the community of people it serves, so the people view the police as an enemy," Silverglate said.

The lawyer says he will take action if he findsa pattern of abuse and harassment, though he doesnot yet know how.

Silverglate said he feels a strong stake inHarvard University, particularly in the policedepartment. First, the lawyer says he is anaffiliate of Dunster House. And secondly,Silverglate said, "I am a civil libertarian andhave a very strong interest in police misconduct."

Silverglate said the ad did not represent asearch for new clients or new revenue, but forinformation about possible Harvard police abuses.

"We're a small law firm," Silverglate said. "Idon't have time for these cases." The lawyeradded: "It's not very profitable representingstudents because students often can't pay theregular rates that other clients pay