Farmers Showcase Crops at Harvest Festival

By Nothando Ndebele

People who enjoy visiting the weekly farmers' market at The Charles Hotel must have been ecstatic yesterday.

Instead of the usual small gathering, the hotel held its fifth annual Harvest Moon Celebration yesterday. The all-day festival was attended by about 14 New England farmers, six chefs and more than 20 exhibitors of homemade products and crafts trying to sell their goods, said Martha Sullivan, the event's organizer.

"The event aims to bring together farmers from throughout New England," said Sullivan, who works for the hotel's public relations department.

There were exhibits and musical performances at the festival, but the celebration focused on food.

Farm products on display ranged from bright red apples to farmfresh carrots at the celebration. A large of selection of homemade fruit and vegetable preserves was also available for public perusal.

Debuting this year was a pumpkin patch. For $2, celebration- goers could plunge into a pile of pumpkins, keep any two and have photographs taken with their produce.

"The pumpkin patch is the best," said Denise DeMore, a visitor to the celebration. "You can be a kid again."

The proceeds from the pumpkin sale will go to the Cambridge public elementary schools art department. Children from 14 local elementary schools provided carved and decorated pumpkinsfor the celebration.

Not all the food at the festival was straightfrom the farm, though.

Visitors to the festival could purchase grilledsandwiches, salads, ciders and fruit juices fromexhibitors.

Cookie Express catered to the cookie lovers whoattended. There were also various chocolate standsand large selections of homemade jellies and jams.

The celebration was sponsored by The CharlesHotel, the shops in Charles Square and theMassachusetts Department of Agriculture