Another Social Option for College Women

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:

A week ago an ad was released in your paper by Women Appealing for Change which asked other women to boycott Final Clubs. Although I admire the organizers of this movement for challenging the old boy network, I sense that changes in admission policy will be slow in coming. There is, however, a fulfilling social alternative that can be pursued now: female clubs.

In their advertisement; Women Appealing for Change claimed that female clubs fail to foster "a more healthy, sensible, and integrated social environment, based on inclusion rather than exclusion." I disagree. Last spring I became a member of Kappa Alpha Theta, a women's fraternity, and over the last six months I have enjoyed a very balanced social life. As Theta is an international organization devoted to the ideals of academics, service, and friendship, members do more than just party together. We plan community service projects, we go on retreats, and we attend weekly chapter meetings. Such pursuits involve no alcohol and allow us to better ourselves and our community while making lifelong friendships.

By holding open rush instead of punch parties, Theta gives all interested women the opportunity to enjoy a balanced social experience. We are not an exclusive group but one founded on mutual interest.

Hopefully, women determined to do something about the current social stalemate on campus will give Theta a second look. The organization has meant much to me, and I believe it is a step in the right direction. Margaret Roberts '96