Barry Jokes At The Coop

By Terry H. Lanson

Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist Dave Barry brought his pen and his wit to the Harvard Coop yesterday, where he signed books and joked about his history of drug use.

Barry, who writes a nationally syndicated column every week, appeared at the first floor of the cooperative's book annex as part of a tour to promote his newest book, Dave Barry Does Japan.

Although Harvard records contain no indication that he was ever a student here, Barry said he succeeded in writing because of The Crimson and drug use.

"I got a lot of training at the Harvard Crimson," Barry said. "I take an enormous amount of narcotic drugs. I read the classics all the time and have a complete liberal arts education, although the drugs really help."

Barry has been known to poke fun at Harvard. In his The Only Travel Guide You'll Ever Need, Barry says Harvard grads will take advantage of any opportunity to mention their days at Harvard.

Asked to pass the salt at a meal, a Harvard graduate would reply, "I used to pass the salt in Cambridge," Barry wrote.

The hour-long book signing attracted approximately 200 people--many of them hard-core Barry fans.

Cambridge resident Beverly L. English said Barry's off- beat humor drew her to the event.

"He's got a sick and twisted sense of humor,"said English, "and I like that in a person."

English said she reads his column regularly andhas read about five of his books, of which herfavorite is Dave Barry Turns 40.

Maine resident David P. Shaw said he thinksBarry fans "should start a fan club and call 'emDaveheads, and we'd follow him around just likeDeadheads."

Coop officials said they were very pleased tohave Barry visit.

"This is a special event," said Frances R.Dibiseglia, a book purchaser for theCambridge-based retailer. "We were lucky.