A Victim of His Own Arguments

TO THE EDITORS OF THE CRIMSON:

David Lat's editorial ("Conservatives Need To Be Heard," October 4) seems to be a perfect example of a distressing trend in our society. Right now, here at Harvard and on other campuses across the country, one of the most damaging attributes of the so-called "Politically Correct" movement is that everyone seems to claim that they are victims of all sorts.

Mr. Lat thus acts like the very same "liberals" whom he so opposes by claiming that he and other conservative are also victims, and that they "need protection and respect, not abuse."

Mr. Lat is right that Republicans tend to be portrayed as heartless people, who do not care at all about the poor. He is also right that that is an unfair stereotype, which is almost never accurate.

My only request is that he prove this by writing on the subjects on which he feels strongly instead of giving into the popular trend of whining by complaining about the "ever-so-subtle" inferences that "liberals" use to "strip [conservatives] of voice." If indeed Mr. Lat can make intelligent arguments against the weak aspects of much of the liberal agenda, which he undoubtedly can because there are many of them, then I am confident that no one will be able to silence him with subtle innuendos. Charles Barzun '97