Council Candidates Poster to Impress

Many in Race Mock Council's Reputation

By Sandhya R. Rao

And they're off.

Off and running before the 1993 Undergraduate Council election, the candidates are decorating kiosks all over campus with catchy slogans on colored flyers.

Many of the posters take jabs at the council, mocking its recent spate of troubles.

In Quincy House, the poster for candidate Christopher J. Hernandez '96 reads, "The U.C. sucks. And I suck for wanting to be on it. Dammit, I'm Christopher Hernandez."

And Matthew M. Bakal '97 says he is "hinting at past improprieties in the U.C." with his campaign sign, "Vote for Matt Bakal. He won't take your money to Acapulco."

Other posters are more innocuous. Sheila N. Swaroop '97 borrowed from popular culture--a tried and true council election tradition--for her poster, which reads, "Swaroop, there it is."

Swaroop's main campaign strategy is postering the $5 worth of posters she made and going door to door and telling students about her issues, she says.

Most students this year have been conservatively postering and doordropping flyers in order to gain support for the election.

Antonio Miranda '97, a Wigglesworth resident and council candidate, says, "[The signs] are pretty horrible, and most of them are pretty cheesy."

The corny sayings didn't stop Miranda from posting flyers of his own, which read, "Vote Tony Miranda--who could ask for anything more?" Miranda says, "If someone reads my position paper, I'm sure they'll vote for me."

Bakal, who spent $18 on his flyers, says he also posted signs reading, "Your weekends don't have to be lame" and "Truth, Justice, and a damned good time," since he plans to lame" and "Truth, Justice, and a damned goodtime," since he plans to improve social activitiesat Harvard if elected.

Marcy L. Rabin '94, a Quincy House resident,has gone so far as to claim credit for peace inthe Middle East. Her signs read, "I will do forthe U.C. what I did for the Middle East," sinceher last name is the same as that of the Israeliprime minister.

Rabin, who says she spent $25 on posters, saysthe poster is intended as a jab at the council."It's making some humor out of the fighting lastyear," she said.

Many candidates voiced dissatisfaction with thecouncil's penchant for controversy, and said theyhope to improve the council if elected.

"I'm sort of disappointed [the] U.C. doesn't doanything," Bakal said. "They steal money. We allpay them $20 [on our term bills] and we should getour money's worth."

James L. Doak '94, a North House resident whohas served on the council for over two years, isrunning for reelection, but this year he is notcampaigning wholeheartedly.

"When I was a freshman I spent nearly $40 anddid four days of door drops," said Doak. Thisyear, though, he thinks many of the North housecandidates are well-qualified for the council.

"My main concern is that the U.C. is filledwith energetic, dedicated people," said Doak. "Ihope to continue to make North house a hospitableand friendly environment from the U.C. point ofview.