Jewett: Drinking Law Too Strict

By Nan Zheng

Criticizing the recent change in Harvard's alcohol policy, Dean of the College L. Fred Jewett '57 said yesterday that students between 18 and 21 should be able to consume alcohol in a controlled environment.

"It's crazy to have a law like this where there will be as much abuse as there is," Jewett said in an interview. "I think there should be an intermediate stage in which beer and wine might be served under supervised situations."

The recent amendment to state law, which previously prohibited only the purchase and serving of alcohol to minors, now additionally prohibits possession.

Jewett said that although prohibition should be much tougher for those under 18, students between the ages of 18 and 21 should have the right to drink as part of an educational process.

Monitored alcohol consumption could occur in places such as house masters' residences, on campus dor- mitories or in college pubs where the amountconsumed can be controlled, he said.

"A better law would control a drinkingenvironment with restrictions," Jewett said. "I'mnot in favor of a blanket prohibition that ends at21."

"It's one of the more unfortunate parts of thelaw," Jewett said. "There should be a way ofrecognizing that this is a part of people'sexperimental stage rather than just say that at21, someone will miraculously turn into aresponsible drinker."

Assistant Dean of Freshmen Michael J. Middleton'87 echoed Jewett's comments, saying that drinkingunder the supervision of proctors or house tutorswill provide an environment conducive todiscussion about alcohol.

"My personal reaction is that it makes perfectsense that young adults learn how to drink incontrolled situations," he said. "Folks like DeanJewett have a good perspective on what works andwhat doesn't."

Winthrop Senior Tutor Greg Mobley alsoexpressed a preference for alcohol consumptionwith the knowledge of University officials ratherthan covert drinking.

"People in college are going to experiment withalcohol, and I would prefer we do that within thecontext of our educational community and not havestudents having to sneak off to drink furtively,"Mobley said.

Mobley pointed out, however, that the currentlaw was adopted to solve a bigger problem ofdrinking and driving within the community. "Theworld doesn't revolve around Harvard," he said