Summer Returns To Harvard

Students Enjoy Sun, Warm Temperatures

By Sarah J. Schaffer

Awakened by memories of a scorching summer, students and tourists alike flocked to the Yard yesterday to revel in the 77-degree temperature.

Frolicking dogs, busy students and intent musicians reflected the appeal of the unusually warm October day. The National Weather Service reported that today's temperature was not a record, though. The high for the date, 88 degrees, was set in 1879.

Elizabeth Zacharias '97 took advantage of the balmy afternoon to read outside in the Yard. "I love weather changes," she said. "I'm known for that in my dorm. Any weather is great."

Thomson Nguy '96, playing a recorder on the steps of Memorial Church, provided pleasant background music for Zacharias' studies. Although he enjoyed the weather, Nguy knew only too well what New England winters can bring.

"There's probably about two weeks of weather where Harvard looks like Stanford. The rest of the years, I wish I had gone there," he said.

Strumming a guitar in the middle of the Yard, musician Andrew Burlinson '97 said he ventured outside because he felt obligated.

"I felt guilty staying in my room. And anyway, it's better than being in afive-by-five cubicle," he said.

But the unexpected warmth was not a benefit toall. "There's no question that the weather hindersstudying," Michelle Martin '95 said. "But itdefinitely puts off the Boston depression for awhile."

Cantabrigians unable to spend the day outsidewere regretfully aware of what they were missing.

"I would say that people would probably stayaway from the store on a day like this," said DanAlbano, assistant manager of the HarvardBookstore. "I would be outside if I could."

In Lamont Library, however, many were contentresisting the weather's lure. "I'm from L.A. I'mused to warm weather," said James Kim '94. "Butwhy am I [in Lamont]?"

Sceung-Hee Jeon, a first-year graduate studentstudying in Lamont, was more focused. "I have tostudy. I have to prepare for French. But I'drather be outside."

At the Minority Student Alliance's table on"Understanding Columbus Day" in front of Widener,Jean Tom '96 offered the most sweeping explanationfor the day's weather.

"I think the world acted in complete accordwith our tabling efforts," she said. "Clearly,forces of nature were on our side.