Broadening Horizons

By Eliot Bush

The Black Business Association changed its name this fall to Horizons, signalling the group's commitment to enlarging its membership and expanding its goals, according to newly elected President Jaja S. Jackson '95.

Horizons will be open to all students of color interested in becoming professionals, said Jackson. In the past, the group had focused on Black students interested in careers in business.

"Horizons is for all students," said Jackson, although the group's primary focus will be on the "traditional minorities: African-American, Latino, Chicano, and Native American students," he says.

This year's goal is to help minority students find job and internship opportunities off campus, including those in the business, law and medicine fields.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III says he strongly supported the group's new goals.

"What is most exciting is that students of color are working together," he says.

Horizon Treasurer Carlos R. Williams '95 says the group could be especially helpful in dealing with the concerns of individual ethnic groups.

"Horizons will meet needs specific to communities. If Caribbean students wanted to address trade in the Carribbean or prospects for investment there, it could be done," he says.

Horizons' committees are working with OCS to arrange information on summer internships and are planning workshops on resume writing and interviews.

Horizons will hold an introductory meeting this Thursday in Emerson 105 at 7:30 p.m.