Israeli Deputy Minister Speaks at Faculty Club

Says American Jews Must Immigrate to Israel to Keep Connected to Jewish Community

By Jeffrey N. Gell

Secular American Jews must immigrate to Israel if they wish to remain connected to the Jewish community, Israel's Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs told a crowd of 70 yesterday at the Harvard Faculty Club.

"We realize for secular Jews in the liberal United States it is impossible to keep Jewish continuity," Yossi Beilin said. "What we will have to see is either religious Jews in the United States or a very small concentration of secular Jews who will make aliyah [immigrate to Israel] if they wish to contribute as secular Jews."

Beilin said he opposes intermarriage because it has led to the assimilation of American Jews. But he also said that non-observant Jews--the majority of the Jewish population in the U.S.--have no right to criticize Jews who choose to intermarry.

"Who are we to tell them to stick to our religion when we are not religious?" Beilin asked. "The only good answer which is there is to be in Israel; I do not worry whether my children will marry Jews because no gentiles are around."

Beilin said peace in the Middle East is "irreversible," and as a result of the peace process Israel will no longer need financial and political support from American Jews.

"The question I am asking myself is about future relations between Israel and the Jewish community in the world," Beilin said.

Beilin said agencies such as the United Jewish Appeal and the Jewish Agency, which have traditionally brought American Jews and Israeli Jews together, are no longer necessary because Israel is now an independent, financially self-sufficient country.

"When my generation decides not to take American money, you can not force a country to become a beggar," he said. "We have to find something else, or there won't be anything."

Beilin suggested three alternative programs to bring secular American Jews and Israeli Jews together.

First, Beilin said young American Jews must have the opportunity to visit Israel in order to form lasting friendships with Israelis.

Second, he said he advocates opening an international Jewish university in Israel.

"That might become a spiritual center for young Jews," Beilin said. "The formative years are the most important target for us."

Third, Beilin urged an increase in dialoguebetween Israelis and the American Jewishcommunity.

"I do not feel as someone who visits here thatI know the mood of American Jews," he said.

"What I think should happen is toinstitutionalize a dialogue to see how we cancooperate to ensure that the common denominator ofJewish community will continue," Beilin added.

The event was sponsored by Harvard-RadcliffeHillel and Harvard Students for Israel