Loeb Instructor May Be Rehired

Source: Symonds to Oversee Shows

By Jonathan A. Lewin

Six months after losing his job at the Loeb Theatre, Alan P. Symonds '69 will likely assume a newly created post as technical director for all house theatrical productions as early as today, a source familiar with the situation said yesterday.

In an interview last night, Symonds would not comment specifically on whether he would receive the post. But he also said there had been ongoing contract negotiations that are "not quite through" and that a new job may be created by the College.

The source said Symonds' new post will allow him to directly oversee theatrical productions in the houses--a task he often performed voluntarily in addition to his Loeb duties.

Quincy House Master Michael Shinagel, chair of the Standing Faculty Committee on Dramatics, had indicated last spring that he might propose hiring Symonds in a new position as technical director for house productions.

Professor of English Robert J. Brustein, director of the Loeb Drama Center, said he was "aware that such a position is in the works."

Brustein said that "a way to use all of Mr. Symonds' gifts had to be found, and it is my understanding this position is such a way."

Brustein called Symonds "indefatigable" and said the technical director frequently works often on projects outside of the Loeb.

Controversy surrounded a decision by Brustein and Shinagel to replace Symonds, who had been acting technical director at the Loeb.

A national search for a permanent director had included Symonds as a candidate, but he was ruled out, Brustein said, because he lacks the academic credentials to teach a course, as required by the job.

J. Michael Griggs, an assistant professor at the University of Maryland, was appointed to the Loeb post last spring.